Truvada and Viramune

I just started about two weeks ago my treatment with Truvada and Viramune, and I have being doing great with no side effects. They made me feel very sleepy but thats it. My question is can I get resistance to this medicine if I am late 1 or 2 hours to take this medicine? I heard that this combination is good because it stays in your system longer. Is it true?

Response from Dr. DeJesus

Yes, that is very true. Both Truvada and Viramune have very long half lives, which mean that these drugs stay in your system for a long time after you have taken the dose. This attribute make possible for these drugs to be taken a bit late without significant risk.

You send us this question only after two weeks of starting this regimen, so I assume that by now you have been on this regimen for over a month. If you have not experienced any tolerability problems (such as rash), your final tolerability test on this regimen will be when you do your follow up labs a few months after you have been taking these medications. If at that time your liver tests are normal, and you viral load is undetectable, then you are definitively going to do very well on the long run with this regimen.

Also, because the long half-life on these medications, once your viral load becomes undetectable you may have the option to discuss with you doctor the possibility of switching your regimen to a once a day regimen, taking both Viramune and the Truvada once daily. Viramune is not yet FDA approved for once daily administration, but the pharmacokinetic studies are very clear that this drug can be taken once a day in patients initially tolerating the twice daily dose well. Good luck!

what if i stop my meds
Atripla before Bed Time