CD4 percentage

Hello Dr Ben. I have been put on HAART with a count of 35, severe wasting and multiple OIs, after being poz for about 10 years and a heavy involvement with the dissident cult. I felt like being deprogrammed from a cult, seriously. Now I am involved with several aids organizations where, given my experience, I deal with people who have fallen for the dissident brainwash. Anyway, my question is this: after almost 3 years on Truvada and Reyataz/Norvir, my absolute CD4 is 770, and my cd4% 24. Isn't the percentage low for that absolute number? Otherwise, i have recovered excellent health and I had no side effects so far. Also, I take Reyataz/N in the morning, and Truvada in the eve, as per my doc, given the potential lowering of Reyataz level by Tenofovir, but I heard of people who take them at the same time. What do you think? Thanks in advance, and thank you all for you great service. P

Dear P,

Thanks for posting.

It's great to hear that your health has returned. I'm interested in hearing more about your experience with the dissident brainwashing. We have had similar experiences with patients who have subscribed, only to fall ill.

To your question, you do have a relatively low CD4 percentage for your CD4 absolute count. Typically, we'd expect to see about 7 percentage points for each 100 CD4 cell count-- hence, at 24%, I'd would usually expect a CD4 count of about 350. A rise from 35 to 350 actually would be a reasonable increase after 3 years on treatment, particularly if one recognizes that you started treatment with a very low CD4 count and with multiple OIs.

As for your dosing, it would be entirely reasonable to take all of your medicines together (with food). I'd actually not heard of this rationale for dose separation of Truvada and Reyataz, despite this being a commonly used regimen.

So, thanks again for posting. Best of health to you.

BY

What Hiv meds are best for me
High viral load, High CD4 count