To Stop or Stay With?

I have been HIV+ for over 9 years. I have been on Combivir and Viramune for the last year and a half. For the 7 years before treatment initiation and the short time since, my T4 cell count has been consistent between 600-900 with a good ratio 32-34. Before treatment, my viral load hovered around 6,000 and after went to undetectable on one test and 50-150 on the more precise. I have never had opportunistic infection or any of the other signs of disease progression. No night sweats, no thrush, nothing. My doctor says the treatment strategies have recently changed. Considering my stats before and after treatment, and weighing the risk of toxicity, he is recommending I discontinue treatment all together. If my stats begin to decline in the future, he says I can go back on my current regimen with equal success. What do you think?

Response from Dr. Boyle

Your doctor is almost certainly right, although we don't yet have the data necessary to say with absolute certainty that there is no downside to stopping therapy. If you are going to stop, keep in mind the lengthy half-life of Viramune, which may require that you stop it first and continue the Combivir for a couple of doses after that. Good luck. BB

Medication change
Excessive blood draws?