just diagnosed

hi dr good morning i am a male of 28 just diagnosed with hiv.i was reading about ccr5 inhibitors and it looks indeed promising and gives us hope to all hiv carriers. i have to discuss my first hiv regimen with the specialist tomorrow keeping in mind potential side effects of hiv meds. can i introduce ccr5 inhibitors like maravoroc in my regimen as it stops virus enrty in the cells.it sounds great to me. any help will be appreciated

mike

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.

I wouldn't (yet) recommend using a CCR5 inhibitor as part of your first-line HIV treatment. Yes, the idea of stopping the virus from entering the cell is attractive, so is the idea of preventing integration of the viral chromosome into the human chromosome (using an integrase inhibitor).

The real issue is that we are no longer in a time of experimentation for initial HIV treatments (as we once were). If anything my best advice is to rely on the scientific method of independently confirmed, prospective clinical trials of entire treatment regimens-- this approach is summarized in the contemporary DHHS Treatment Guidelines. If you accept this notion, then current treatments still combine 2 nucleoside drugs with either a non-nucleoside or a boosted protease inhibitor.

This isn't to assert that we will always treat HIV with these combinations; rather, that when it comes to first line treatments, the last thing that I'll do with my patients is to experiment with their long-term health using combinations that have not been compared to our current well tested regimens.

Thanks for reading and best of health, BY

Need a doctor
when to start ARV