switching too soon?

With a CD4 of 44, treatment was started with Sustiva and Combivir. After a month, the only major side effects seem to be from the Sustiva and are sleep-related. Though I seem to be tolerating the Combivir, I have been reading reports that Atripla or Truvada may bring about higher increases in CD4 counts. So, I am already thinking of changing. Is it too soon and should I give the other combo a shot since I seem to be okay on it?

Thank you.

Thanks for your post.

While Atripla or Truvada (ie, tenofovir-based) treatments may result in slightly increased CD4 counts, I don't think that this treatment difference alone is enough to warrant a switch of an otherwise well-functioning treatment. If small count differences really mattered, then I would probably recommend a tenofovir- or abacavir-based, boosted protease regimen.

The major reason to consider a switch off AZT would be to convert your regimen to a once-daily one or decrease the risk of developing lipoatrophy; this would be more important if you had issues with missing the morning dose of Combivir or had pre-existing lipoatrophy. In part for these reasons, AZT was recently demoted from the US treatment guidelines (to alternative) whereas tenofovir- and abacavir-based NRTIs are now preferred.

So, it might be worth talking to your doctor about your questions. If your doing very well, I'm conservative about switching-- namely: "ain't broke, don't fix (unless there's a compelling reason)".

Best of health, BY

Sustiva or Viramune
Is there risk in delaying treatment?