Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sustiva or Viramune
May 28, 2008

I see you have been on just about every HIV drug company's speaker bureau. As an HIV patient and research chemist, I would like to know what data you can point me to that suggest Sustiva is better than Viramune. I am actively involved in keeping up to date with the current literature. As a research chemist, I could not afford to deal with the side effects of vivid dreams, depression..etc. Could you please point me to statisticaly significant data showing your strong support for sustiva? As a physician, would you take sustiva without taking off a month of work?

Response from Dr. Wohl

I would not say that efavirenz is "better' than nevirapine. Better at what? For some people, one is a better choice than the other. For you, leery of the central nervous system side effects of efavirenz, nevirapine may be a better option - provided your CD4 cell count is not above 400 if you are a man or 250 if you are a women.

As far as potency, the one large head to head trial comparing these drugs, the 2NN Trial (Google it for details), showed a better virologic response with efavirenz (statistically, the results did not allow for these two drugs to be considered equivalent). Lipids favored nevirapine. Liver toxicity was greater with nevirapine - especially when taken once a day. Since that study was performed there have been several large and rigorously conducted trials comparing efavirenz to other drugs including protease inhibitors and in all efavirenz was found to be at least as potent, if not more so, than the comparators (e.g. ACTG Study A5142, Dupont 006, ACTG 5095). There is much less compelling comparative data regarding nevirapine.

I share your concerns regarding the central nervous system side effects of efavirenz. But, we should not exaggerate the severity or frequency of these problems. In clinical studies the vast majority of people tolerate efavirenz just fine. You can try it (before a three day weekend rather than a month off of work) and If you experience problems you can always switch to an alternative (nevirpaine or etravirine).

So, pharma slut that I am, I have to say no one drug is best for all and that each has its own baggage. A look at the robust data on efavirenz makes this a known quantity and many clinicians find that familiarity comforting.

DW

Previous
Health of my daughter
Next
switching too soon?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.