Champix, and your advise

Dear Dr. Young,

I have looked into the archives and I saw some of your encouraging answers about Champix/Chantix. I talked to my HIV doctor and I just started on it. Usually I quitted smoking cold turkey, and it worked. I quit sometimes for over a year! but then I go back smoking again for some mysterious reason. I'm a student and Champix is not covered where I live by insurance, so it is a big investment for me, although I'm hoping not smoking pays for that.

two questions here 1- Why is champix different from quitting cold turkey? I mean does it gurantee not going back? 2- How do I decide on 3 months or 6 months of Champix? what is your experience based on you own clinics work?

Cheers, Nicotine Free!

Thanks for your post.

Champix/Chantix is a very highly effective medication to help in smoking cessation. We've had great success in our patients here in Colorado-- even among those who have tried and failed other strategies.

Chantix (as we call it here in the States) is entirely different than going cold turkey, in that the medication both blocks and slightly stimulates the nicotine receptors in the brain. In this way, you tend not to have the withdrawal symptoms that plague those who go cold turkey.

As for duration, we usually start with a 3 month course of treatment, for those who still are having issues with the desire to smoke, then we'll continue for an additional 3 months (6 months total).

I hope this helps. Let us know how your experience goes.

BY

Poz and no Meds
Meds