When is it too late for ARVs?

Dear Dr Young

I have noticed that there is mostly information on when an HIV positive person can start ARVs. I am however curious to find out when can it be said to be too late for ARVs. I have a friend who was recently diagnosed but her CD4 is now very very low and she is unwilling to take ARVs because she thinks it is too late and a waste of money. She has been in and out of hospital lately. What is your advise?

Thanks for your post.

I'm afraid your friend is seriously mistaken. While I believe it's better to start ARVs with higher counts than lowest counts; it's never too late.

I have a number of patients who were diagnosed HIV+ and initiated ARVs with single-digit CD4 counts- nearly all have recovered their health (and CD4s).

BY

two pills in one day?
HIV Medication Ads