Side Effects

I developed a resistance to sustiva... in return my doctor placed me on Isentress, Truvada and AZT. After three days of taking this combination, I have uncontrollable vomitting, severe head aches and sometimes too dizzy to stand. I have Zofran, but that isn't helping. I have several friends that say it's the AZT and to talk to my doctor about switching the AZT out of my cocktail.. Any suggestions????

Response from Dr. McGowan

It is true that a very common side effect of AZT (zidovudine) is nausea and vomiting, especially during the initiation of treatment. It is the most likely part of this regimen to cause this problem. It is important to talk to your doctor about your symptoms, do not stop part of your treatment (AZT) and continue the other drugs. If the regimen is properly balanced to suppress your virus, you should always take all of your meds every day, or stop them all if toxicity is intolerable. It is important to be proactive in raising this with your doctor so it will not compromise your adherence and let the virus have a chance to develop resistance to the rest of the cocktail.

Having children
Drug resistance