The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Bone Doctor's

Apr 30, 2008

Every time I have asked a question, I always get a response that is less than helpful due to, I would assume, liability issues! However, Im going to try again! I have lived in CT for 5 years now, and in that time, have not found 1 good orthopedic surgeon who is or has expertise in avascular neucrosis in HIV patients! Most will or do not even want to deal with me! It took 3 months of numerous exhausting tests before I was even diagnosed finally with the disease, and then had a very hard time, finding a bone doctor that wanted to touch me! I really thought that in CT, I would never have a problem in this area! I finally got a doctor, who initially told me that he would do the hip replacement surgery, so I planned for it! The next time I met him, he had completely changed his mind and wanted to drill holes in the bone to release the pressure! This of course did not ultimatley work, and so I ended up having my hip replaced 3 months later! So I had to recover from 2 surgeries instead of just one! It took over 2 years to completely recover, and now my other hip is starting to collapse! I have been on heavy opiates for the duration, and am in constant pain! I cannot find any doctor who has experience in dealing with HIV patients with this disorder! Can any of you help me, or direct me in the right direction please! I am so tired of hurting, and need some advice! Is there something I can be doing holistically to slow the process of bone degeneration? I have found it very hard to believe that in the state of CT, that there are no orthopedics that have first hand experience in this problem with HIV patients who have come down with this, as I was informed that it is becoming more prevalent! Please Help Me! I cannot live with the pain much longer!

Response from Dr. Wohl

Probably, we who answer the questions on this forum, hailing from NC, FL and CO, can not identify a great orthopedic surgeon in CT to whom you should be referred. Really, that is the job of your HIV doc. He or she should do the leg work on this. If you truly have exhausted the options in your state, I am certain there are dozens of surgeons in NYC who are very experienced with HIV and willing to perform this common procedure, if indicated.

Again, this is a something your HIV specialist should be working on for you.


Meds & Lipodystrophy

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint