Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

NNRTI Resistance
Apr 24, 2008

Hi there.

Firstly - thanks in advance to you and your colleagues for the time you devote to answering questions. This is a valuable service and has been of enormous benefit in terms of information gathering.

I was diagnoised six months ago but still have a reasonably good immune system (CD4: 470, VL: 10,000, CD4% 35). Some concerns with short term memory but otherwise feel good so doctor has not recommended drug therapy yet. Just after diagnosis, the reistance tests revealed the K103N mutation which puts Efavirenz and others of the NNRTI first generation meds off the table as a regime. I guess I have two questions:

1. Can this mutation disappear ? 2. Is it worth me chasing my doctor to have the resistance test re-run just in case there was a mistake ?

I don't want to waste valuable resources but if there is a chance I can take Efavirenz/Atripla (given the once daily dosing schedule and reasonable side effect profile)then I would like to when the time comes.

Many thanks in advance. P.

Response from Dr. Young

P, thanks for your post.

It would appear that you're among the ~10% of American HIVers who are unfortunately infected with drug resistant virus. Yours is the most commonly transmitted pattern, namely to NNRTIs (first generation non-nukes), like efavirenz.

While the mutation might disappear from future testing, this does not mean that the resistant virus is gone from your body, rather that the amount of the resistant strain has decreased below the level of detection from the test.

Once detected, this becomes part of your medical (or virological) history. I don't think that repeating the test has any significant value, nor do I think that using efavirenz or nevirapine is worth the risk of treatment failure and/or additional drug resistance.

Fortunately, we have sufficient treatment options that constructing a potent and well tolerated, once-daily drug regimen for you should not be difficult when the "time comes".

Previous
could morphine-induced IL-2 suppression be causing low CD4?
Next
When to change meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.