|% vs absolute count and cure questions
Apr 21, 2008
Dear Dr. Young,
Thank you for the work you do here.
quest 1: is % increase as important as increases in absolute numbers? I have been on trizivir for 2 years. my vl is undetectable and my t'cells increase has been modest starting at 499 and most recently 650. my % has increased from 10% to 26%. would you consider this a good resposne to treatment?
regarding the C word I would think an argument can be made that we do have a cure for aids with a few caveats (ie no coinfection, adherence, no major problems with resistence) but we do not have a cure for hiv infection
last question/commment: my high level read on the quest for the cure for infection is that things are actually quite exciting right now. there has been two strikes (haart not being a cure and recent vaccine data), but unlike a baseball game we have as many swings of the bat as needed until the ball is hit out of the park. it seems like there are several approaches being tested with a wide variety of approaches and it is just as probable that a cure is being worked on now (not yet valididated) as one being found 1, 5 or 10 years from now. your thoughts? thanks again for the great job. you bring a lot of comfort to people like me.
| Response from Dr. Young
Thanks for your post and comments.
1) Your numbers show an excellent immunological response to treatment. Your absolute CD4 count is in the normal range and the percentage has nearly tripled. While not yet normal, your CD4 percentage is getting close.
2) I agree that there is a "cure" for AIDS, but not a "cure" for HIV infection. There have been notable recent disappointments on vaccine work of late, but that shouldn't prevent interest in the continued search. There are many novel (yet very early-stage) concepts on eradication and/or prevention, it will likely take at least 5 or more years before we'll know if these strategies will bear fruit.
Until then, let's continue to advocate for access to life saving medications for ALL HIV positive people all around the world.
Thanks for reading. BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Oral Sex Form Sex Worker Do I Need To Get Tested For HIV
- Probability Of Getting AIDS From Insertive Anal Sex Without Condom
- Risks Of Contracting HIV From Sucking Penis
- Should I Get Tested After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation?
- Dry Mouth Sign Of Ars
- Is Pain In Penis A Symptom Of AIDS?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.