Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How long are we away?
Apr 8, 2008

Hi Dr.,

where is research today in HIV/AIDS? I was diagnosed in december 2007 and my dr. says that because of my positive attitude and my proactive behaviour that I am a good patient. My CD4=361 and my viral last time I checked 3/12/08 was 700. I would like to know how far are we away from a cure? and what is the average life span of an HIV patient who was diagnosed at 21 and lives an active and healthy lifestyle(on combavir and Sustiva)? What is the effective rate of the meds that I am on?

Response from Dr. DeJesus

HIV research remains very active, and although we are very far of having a "cure" (if we will ever) tremendous progress have been made on HIV treatment in the past decade. HIV went from an invariably fatal disease in the early 90's to an almost totally controllable disease today, just the same way that we are able to control other incurable conditions such as diabetes and hypertension.

We not longer look at life span for HIV patients doing well on therapy, because for most patients with a controlled disease and back-up treatment options, the likelihood is that they will continue to do well with treatment for as long as they take their medications with good adherence.

I am sure that having a good positive attitude and healthy life style is also helping you to remain healthy. So, I will advise you to stop thinking about how much time you have left and concentrate in following your treatment, because that is the key that will keep you alive and well. Good luck!

Previous
Zerit
Next
How soon for Lipodystrophy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.