SWOLLEN FEET

My uncle is on the following medication, for all most a year now. He also takes medication for MDR-TB. However he has not been able to go back to work due to consistent swelling of his feet.

Could this be the side effect of these medications and what can he do to minimise this so he can be able to go back to work. Medication: 3TC - Lamivudine 150mg, Aspen - Stavudine 30 mg and Efavirens 600mg.

Thanks for your post.

It's not clear what exactly is causing your uncle's symptoms. If he has MDR TB, he's taking quite a few medications for this and his HIV. The HIV medications that he's taking are not usually associated with swelling of the feet (edema), nor are the TB meds (though the specifics would be important to know).

If he has TB/HIV coinfection, I would want to know if he could be having a so-called immune reconstitution reaction-- something that occurs when HIV medications are started in persons with TB. Inflammation of the lymph nodes, especially those in the groin, could cause leg swelling.

No matter what, your uncles symptoms should be reviewed with his doctors.

I wish him well, BY

Trouble concentrating.
Zerit