Trouble concentrating.

Good afternoon Dr Young,

I had spoken to you some time last year on the time it takes for CD4 count to increase, when someone has an undetectable VL.

I have a new problem, I started my masters about two quarters ago but I seem to be having alot of trouble concentrating and constantly feeling drowsy during class. I have resulted to taking a handfull of glucose either in powder or tablet form before my lectures. I wanted to know if this feelin of fatigue can be overcome, if I am doing the right thing with the glucose and whether the loss of concentration and constant feeling of fatigue are common.

Currently I an on Stocrin, Combivir mutivitamins and septrin. My CD4 is 160 up from 1(one) when I started 3 years ago. My VL is undetectable as at 3rd April 2008.

Thank You Eric Nairobi / Kenya.

Thanks for your post and great to hear from you in Nairobi.

If you're feeling drowsy during class, I'd begin an inquiry about your sleep quality (and quantity). Do you wake rested? Do you have difficulty falling asleep? Are your sleep habits and timing chaotic?

It's entirely possible that there are multiple potential causes to your drowsiness and difficulty concentrating--and it's quite reasonable to question if the efavirenz (Stocrin, Sustiva) is contributing to this. If so, taking the medications earlier (before bedtime) can sometimes help. Further, the AZT part of Combivir could be a subtle contributor to fatigue, irrespective of any efavirenz side effects.

Best of health to you, BY

Viramune and Reyataz questions
SWOLLEN FEET