why not Viramune?

Thank you for answering my question. I have a good friend who takes Viramune as part of his regimen and he has stayed undetectable for a long time now with no reported side effects. Can you explain the reason why Viramune is not considered a first tier drug? Does it not work as well as others? Should my friend be thinking of switching?

Response from Dr. DeJesus

No, your friend should not be thinking about switching off his Viramune if he is doing well (by that meaning that he has an undetectable viral load and not having side effects related to his treatment). You did not mention what other drugs he is taking with the Viramune, so I will assume that he is taking an approved dosing of recommended nucleosides along with it.

Viramune is a very effective ARV medication, and when used in combination with other potent agents, especially in a nave patient, it is as effective as other agents currently recommended for initiation of anti-HIV therapy. The reasons why it is not recommended as a preferred regimen to treat HIV has to do with some associated toxicities that are usually seen within the first few weeks to months after starting therapy. If your friend has been taking Viramune for a long time now and has done well, he should probably stay on that regimen and should not consider a switch at this point.

I am glad that your fiend is doing so well. Good luck!

cryptococcal with HIV
Atripla and skipping one dose