Why is Zerit in a regime?

Hi ... an odd question/comment - having just read a question from Stan, I am astonished to think that someone still prescribes Zerit can this be true? Knowing all the horrible things it does how can this be without the backing of it being one of the few or final choices? i am very shocked to think this medication is still used, regardless of value, I have 2 doctors and a n ex lover - none of which either didn't notice, or didn't mention the fact that my face was being eaten away by this horrible drug. I think Stan and anyone else whose regime includes d4t should always be informed of this ... especially on this site. Stephen

Here you go Stephen.

d4T (stavudine, Zerit) is no longer part of recommended US treatment guidelines. The medication is used commonly around the world, where many of the better tolerated medications that we enjoy here in the US are not available.

Not everyone experiences all side effects from medications; for a quite a few persons, d4T was part of a very well tolerated regimen that did not cause fat loss. The problem is that we have difficulty knowing before hand who will and who won't.

Nevertheless, your point about knowing the potential side effects of all medications, d4T and others, is important before embarking on treatment.

Best of health to you.

BY

CD4 Count and Atripla
regime of norvir