bactrim or atripla

dr young, On monday i told you about my fever i had for two days and i wassnt sure if atripla was rejecting my body well i spoke to my regular physican and he said my body was just getting adjusted and sujested the same you said maybe it was something that i picked up from somewhere. So had the temp for two days wed i was fine come thursday i have full upper body rash all over. Went saw the physican he thinks i might be having a late allergic reaction to either the bactrim or the atripla. Bactrim i am taking along side the atripla. Hes hoping its not the atripla so told me to stop the bactrim. what do you feel? just wanted a second opion. do you think its the bactrim?or the atripla ?

thanks for your info

Thanks for the follow up.

Both trimethoprim/sulfa (Bactrim, Cotrimoxazole) and efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin and part of Atripla) are common causes of rash. It can be difficult, if not impossible to determine which drug is causing your rash at this point.

If your rash is mild, it's reasonable to try to stop one of the two medications to sort out what the culprit is. Since it is easier to stop (and switch) the treatment to prevent PCP (ie., the Bactrim), this is a prudent initial approach.

Best of luck, BY

tenofovir fumarate
medication