switching meds

I have been HIV positive for over 8 years now and in 2006 I began taking Sustiva and Combivir. At the beginning I had an allergic reaction to the Sustiva, but since then I seem OK. My viral loads have been undetectable. In the past year I have gained 20 pounds of hard fat around my mid section from the meds and it is impossible to shed. The depression can be a challenge too, but is it worth switching meds if they are keeping the viral load in check? Recently my triglycerides and cholesterol have been very high and according to my doc it's the drugs. She wants me to switch to Atripla. She thinks it will solve the problem and really likes the one pill a day. My last doctor always told me this was a marathon and not a sprint and I'm worried about switching meds and then not being able to go back to them if I need to. I hate to take a newer drug early in the race if an older one seems to work. Is it safe or even smart to switch mid stream? Can I go back to my old regiment if the Atripla doesn't work?

Thanks for your post.

So-called stable switches are those changes in medications for side effects or simplification while having an undetectable viral load.

In your case, it's generally safe to switch from AZT/3TC (Comvivir)+ efavirenz (Sustiva) to the tenofovir/FTC+efavirenz (Atripla) regimen. Such a switch will likely have modest effects on your cholesterol and triglycerides; it's not clear to me if you'll have significant (certainly not immediate) benefit to your weight gain.

There is always a risk-benefit analysis that you and your doctor should consider; should you not have significant pre-treatment risk of tenofovir toxicity (namely pre-existing kidney disease), then I'd have little reservations about the risk.

Should you have any (unexpected) issues with Atripla, then switching back to your current regimen could always be considered.

I hope this helps.

BY

oxandrolone still low testosterone
coformulated PI's et al.