Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

"Near-normal" lifespan
Mar 19, 2008

Hi Dr. Ben,

I often see the statement that people with HIV who are on treatment, who live a healthy lifestyle, etc., can expect to live a "near-normal" lifespan or have a "near-normal" life-expectancy. You said a similar thing in answer to a question on March 16. I've always wondered: what does this mean? What do you consider "near-normal?" If the normal lifespan for a given population is 78, for example, do you think most patients in this category will live to 68? Or 75? Or 78 minus 1 day?

Or will there be many members of this group for whom their lifespan is ACTUALLY normal -- maybe the ones with an unusually good response to meds, or something like that?

Sorry if it seems like I'm picking nits, but I'd just like to have an idea what my fiancee and I are realistically looking at in terms of our life together, now that we know she's pos. (BTW, her response to treatment has been amazing. She went from 227 CD4 cells to 618 in a period of 5 months, and she has no other risk factors that I know of. She's 29 now.)

As always, thanks for the work you do. Your column has comforted me and provided inspiration many times.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post and words.

I think that you're overthinking this admittedly important point (you call it nitpicking).

Like any forecast-- these are just predictions. So when I say normal or near-normal, I mean that I don't expect HIV to be a thing that limits the quantity or quality of life. That said, I think that it would be irresponsible to suggest that there is no way that HIV MIGHT have some long-range effect decades from now that we simply are ignorant to today.

I wish you and your fiancee a long, and healthy life together.

BY

Previous
My regimen
Next
switching from a med and coming back to it

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.