Diagnosed Undetected.

I was diagnosed to be HIV+ in August of last year. I had an appointment with a specialist in November 14 vials of blood was drawn and I came back in 3 weeks to discuss my results with the specialist. He questioned if I have been taking meds before my visit and I advised him no (usings someone elses meds..I guess) He said my test are very good and that it was up to me if I wanted to start meds. I advised him no. I wanted to wait until I had to. Well, I came back for my 3rd appointment in Febuary of this year and 4 vials or blood were drawn and my doctor called me 1 week later questioning if I was taking meds again. I advised him no. He then proceeded to say that my test are remarkable. I am showing up undetected. My question is...how is this possible? I am super happy but confused because what if there has been a mistake somehow. Is that possible. I am very happy with my results.

Thanks for your post.

There are a very few HIV+ individuals who have very low, or even undetectable HIV viral loads without taking HIV medications. Having such low viral loads are a predictor of having very slow disease progression (but don't preclude the possibility of declining CD4s).

So, yes, I'd call you a lucky person from this point (though having HIV in the first place makes you unlucky on a different level). You should still engage ongoing medical supervision, preventative vaccinations and periodic lab testing-- to make sure that your health remains good.

Be well, BY

viral load and CD4
I work weekend nights