Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can't decide when to start meds?
Mar 9, 2008

I found out I was positive the first of December 2007. I have seen my Dr. twice and recently had to go to the Dr.'s office and had a different Dr. My last CD4 count was 428 VL 18,000 and My primary Dr. said we would probably wait for about a year to start with meds., but when I went recently to the same practice, but different Dr. (which is a infectious disease Dr.) he would like me to start meds now. He believes starting now would be best to lessen the immune damage. I go back to my primary Dr. in two weeks and I kinda need to decide which way to go. Both Dr.s are have been great and my primary Dr. has been working with HIV patients over 15 years and I really like him. Do you have any suggestions?

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

I don't think that there is a right or wrong answer to your question-- both doctor's opinions are well within the ranges of response that we offer our patients.

What's missing from your post is the trend in viral load and CD4 counts over time. If they are stable, then and your not having any symptoms, then there is no hurry to start on medications.

What is probably needed is a discussion with your with either (or both) of these doctors to have them help you understand their positions. A open discussion should help you with the differences and probably enhance your doctor(s)-patient relationships.

Be well, BY

Previous
want to get pregnant
Next
African American Epzicom/Truvada

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.