Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cd 4
Mar 9, 2008

Hello Dr. Benjamin, this question is pursuant to a few questions I had asked you about my friend. She has been on combivir and stocrin for a year and a half. Eight months ago her CD4 was 84 while the percentage was 4. Before this the CD4 had been 87 and the percentage 3. This february she was tested and her CD4 is only 94 and the percentage 16. What do you make of this? Why is the CD4 increasing by only 7 ove the last eight months? Is there possibility of drug resistance? Best regards

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for the follow up.

It would seem to me (while a premature conclusion on the basis of one test) that your friends CD4s are improving. Well, at least the CD4 percentage is.

What's not clear from the information you've provided is whether the viral load is detectable or not. The CD4 count really is a poor yardstick for viral load and therefore, drug resistance.

I hope this helps, BY

Previous
RE AIDS FATAL"
Next
want to get pregnant

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.