Considering adding alternative therapies

Hello, I am on a successful regime of Zerit,abacavir,Sustiva,hydroxyurea,and,Viracept and my viral load is undectable and tcels 800. I am considering adding some hearbs to my regime. I know that most western doctors have not much experience about this but have you heard of any adverse effects of adding this traetment?

Response from Dr. Cohen

There are so many herbs that are available that your question is impossible to fully answer, except to say that some herbs are well tolerated with minimal problems, and others can cause severe side effects. Since you are just exploring - consider a search engine and explore the several sites dedicated to information about herbs as medicine. One of the most reputable writers is named Varro Tyler - he has written several books and they are well researched and respected. In addition there is a German authored summary that was recently translated to English about all Herbs and their potential medical uses. (I think it is usually referred to as Commission E).

While there is a good bit of info on herbs in people, there is very little about herbs specifically directed against HIV itself... But since your viral load is well suppressed, it sounds like you are considering herbs for other uses. So be careful - do your research - and check in with your clinician since even if we only know a little - we can partner with you to monitor for evidence of benefit as well as toxicity.

Good luck. CC

Kombucha Tea
goats milk & lactose intolerance?!