strange phenomenon

Hello Dr. Young,

my initial VL was around 450,000. I have been for 5 months on Boosted Telzir and Kivexa. I haven't gone undetectable according to my last 2 labs which scored around 200 VL. I have made resistance testing before and supposedly had non!

I'm seeing my doctor in 2 weeks with new test results before we consider changing treatment. What could be the reason for this faliure? and what should our strategy be?

My risk involved a girl who was in contact with people of eastern african origin. I've always thought of the rare Hiv1/HIV2 coinfection, could be a possibility? how can we verify that? I did all viral tests including phnotypes and I have HIV-1 subtype D. Could those tests detect HIV-2 if this was not intended?

sorry for the long post, but as you can see I need to get a grip on why my first regimen unexpectedly failed.

First off, your antibody tests should have distinguished between HIV1 and HIV2 infection.

Second, since you started HIV treatments with a quite high HIV1 viral load, it's not surprising (nor unexpected) that you might not have reached a viral load of less than 50 copies yet. You do not, in my view, have treatment failure. If I were your doctor, I would continue to monitor your adherence and viral load- perhaps only to move the interval of testing to every other month, just to be sure that the viral load eventually reaches the mind-at-ease level of less than 50.

I hope this helps. BY

crushing medications
I need to know