The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re: CD4 %age

Feb 27, 2008


Thanks for responding to my query but I think you may have misunderstood. I have no intention of changing my regimen since it's obviously working. My question was realy whether there was anything additional I could do to raise the CD4 %age above the 25% level and, if not, is this level sufficiently high enough to ensure the very long term success of my regime. In other words should I be obsessing about getting to 30% or is the level I am at a strong enough immune level to ensure an optimal long-term prognosis? Is there a typical plateau point on Sustive/Truvada or does the CD4 level continue to rise over the years of use?

Thanks, Nat

Response from Dr. Young


Thanks for your follow up. I would advise you to not obsess about reaching a CD4% of 30-- if you've recovered up to 25%, you're well out of the range where we expect HIV-related complications. CD4 counts do tend to rise, even slowly, if one looks over a long range horizon.

In my opinion, the singular best thing to do to prevent HIV complications for the short- and the very-long term is to continue to take your medications, avoid missed doses and get routine and regular medical follow up. The other claims, frankly, are largely false and divert one's attention from the principle goal of treatment-- namely return to normal, and healthy life.

So, here's to health, BY

Confused about fluctuations and uncorrelated test results
Truvada and Sustiva in on Pill??

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint