I JUST DONT KNOW!
Feb 27, 2008
IM NEWLY DIAGNOSED (JAN 08)-THE DR SAID MY CD4 COUNT IS ABOVE 400. STATED THAT WAS A DECENT LEVEL, BUT RECOMMENDED I START MEDS. WHAT'S YOUR OPINION?
Response from Dr. Young
Thanks for your post.
There are many variables (not discussed in your short note) that affect when one starts medications, or when doctors recommend initiation to their patients.
Current recommendations in the US suggest considering treatment when you have HIV symptoms or when CD4 counts are reproducibly below 350. At 400, your counts are still above this threshold, but close enough that many doctors (myself included) will recommend treatment for many patients in your situation.
Best of health, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- With Hpv How Often Do You Get Breakouts
- When Should You Get Tested For Chlamydia Again After Treatment?
- What Pills Can You Take To Get Rid Of Bacterial Vaginosis Or A Yeast Infection?
- What Happens If Bacterial Vaginosis Is Not Treated?
- What Else Can Cause Blisters Besides Genital Herpes?
- What Are The Long And Short Term Problems With Genital Warts?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.