HIV+ treatment

Dear Dr.

I am from middle east who recently infected with HIV+, I am 43 yrs old male after infection I noticed weakness and fatigue plus many times suffered flu infections that was in June 2007, I made two CD4 tests the first was very low the other one was in Nov. 07 one month after first CD4 test and got the maximum level of CD4 cells and that was shocking to all. Now I feel so healthy and I do not suffer anything or fear cold drafts like before like during probation/infection period. Does my body able to fight back the virus? Does one stay so healthy after infection and this virus keeps eating the body till I develop AIDS after few years?? I only take one centrum silver pill once a day. Any recommendation or adivce, here Dr's. are good but unaware how to treat or give proper info to patients about the HIV, so please help me.

I am not sure exactly what happened to you but it sounds like your first CD4 cell count was low and that a follow-up test result reported your CD4 cell count to be high. Meanwhile you were sick but now feel fine.

It could be you were recently infected with HIV and became ill during the few weeks after infection. You then recovered and your previously low CD4 count has also improved.

The usual course of HIV is that slowly the CD4 cells drop. You should have the count checked again every 3 to 4 months to look at the trend. If the counts drop to 350 or so, treatment is necessary.

Unprotected sex and resistance
Meds and Diabetes