Unprotected sex and resistance

Hello Doctor. First of all, I would like to thank you for all the answers and help you give us. I read all your answers almost religiously: I truly think that this is a great service. Now to my question. Me and my bf are both +. I am on Truvada and Sustiva (my 1st combo started 7 months ago and so far so good). He is not on meds. We are sure that I have passed the virus to him as he's never slept with anybody else, so the virus is the same. My question is, if we have unprotected sex (but only with each others), will he get resistant to my meds, should I become resistant to it? In general, if we were only sleeping with each others, would it still be necessary to wear a condom? Many thanks in advance.

There is a risk that were you to develop drug resistant virus that you could transmit this virus to your partner. But, if you are taking your meds religiously and have a viral load that is persistently undetectable your risk of this problem is incredibly small.

If you have detectable virus, the risk is higher that you have resistant virus and could pass this on.

I suggest you and you partner show up to your next doctor's appointment and discuss the risks together.

recently diagnosed
HIV+ treatment