Feb 9, 2008
Dr. Wohl, I have read this phrase "serial passages" a number of times, could you tell me what this means? How does a serial passage relate to ARV drugs and patients.
| Response from Dr. Wohl
What you may have read about is a laboratory procedure for determining viral drug resistance. In the lab virus is grown in cells in the presence of varying amounts of drug and this virus is then passed serially to new cells. Rounds of passage of the virus to new cells can select for mutants that are resistant to the drug. The more passes required to select for a mutant, the more difficult it is for the drug resistance mutation to develop.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Flaky Skin After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Pain In Urethra After Masturbation Worried I Have
- Sore Throat After Kissing Stripper Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Glands After Drinking Water Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling Lips After Kissing Cut On Lip Worried I Have HIV
- Can You Get Genital Warts From Sharing Razors Or Drinks?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.