Serial Passages

Dr. Wohl, I have read this phrase "serial passages" a number of times, could you tell me what this means? How does a serial passage relate to ARV drugs and patients.

What you may have read about is a laboratory procedure for determining viral drug resistance. In the lab virus is grown in cells in the presence of varying amounts of drug and this virus is then passed serially to new cells. Rounds of passage of the virus to new cells can select for mutants that are resistant to the drug. The more passes required to select for a mutant, the more difficult it is for the drug resistance mutation to develop.

Bleed during intercourse
How about a little bit of grapefruit juce