Starting Med at 350? 250? 200?

What is the difference in starting meds at 350cd, 250cd, 200cd?

I know of people who had 17cd when they first started treatment and they are fine now (Their cd4 count is good and they look physically healthy).

Why the rush to start at 350 now? (Pressure from the pharmaceutical companies to make more $$$?)

Thank you for your post.

Yes, many patients with very advanced disease are able to recover CD4 cell counts. Those very same persons with CD4s less than 100 are at about a 30% risk of dying in the next 12 months, based on our CDC analysis of persons in the pre-HAART era.

Why the rush to start? Probably the most compelling piece of information is that the risk of developing complications of medications (lipoatrophy, peripheral neuropathy and/or kidney disease) appears to double when one compares patients who start with CD4s of 200 compared to greater than 200. With better tolerated medications, the reluctance to start has been lowered. Waiting to initiate with CD4s in this range simply increases the risk of having serious- or life-threatening illnesses; unfathomable to me, if the person is willing and able to take well tolerated, once-daily medications.

All I can say is that if I were HIV infected, I'd be starting medications at least when my CD4s were 350, if not sooner-- not because I think that the pharmaceutical companies need my money, but because I value my health.

BY

low cd 4 count
Good Cocktail? (Cont'd)