MEDS WITH PREGNANCY

DR JUST DIAGNOSE CD4 352 VL 28000 NOT YET ON MEDS. AM PLANING OF GETTING PREGNAT. I WILL BE TRAVELING OUT OF THE COUNTRY I WANT TO KNOW WITH MY LABS WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF HAVING NEGATIVE BABY WITH TREATMENT . AT WHAT TRIMESTER OF PREGNANCY DO I NEED TO START TREATMENT.

Thank you for your post.

Treatment of pregnant HIV-infected women and dramatically reduce the risk of transmission to the child- with three drug therapies as we use here in the US, to levels less than 1%.

If you are not yet on medications and are pregnant, most would wait to start therapy until the beginning of the second trimester.

On the other hand, if you are not pregnant and not planning pregnancy in the near future, then with a CD4 count of ~350 (if confirmed), you might be better served by starting on HIV treatments before pregnancy. Usually, we would consider initiation of a regimen that you could continue through your pregnancy (and therefore safe for your child)-- typically, such regimens would include AZT (in the form of Combivir) with a protease inhibitor (usually, Kaletra). The use of efavirenz (Sustiva, Strocrin) is heavily avoided, because of risk to the child.

I hope this helps, BY

ringingin in the ears because of sustiva
Ulcers and HIV