ringingin in the ears because of sustiva

Five months ago I switched from stavudine, lamivudine and nelfinavir to stavudine, lamivudine and sustiva. Two months after treatment I noticed ringing in my ears. It has been constant since that time to now. I have read the other answers about ringing in the ears in this forum but still afraid of secondary effects. Can this have bad consequences for my ears? do I have to get use to it? Recently labreports seems to be fine (vl undetectable, cd4 above 600, blood pressure ok, etc. ok)? The only medications I changed was sustiva. Should I changed medications just because of it? I am so happy for your help. A Mexican.

Thank you for your post from Mexico.

Efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin) has been associated with a cases of tinnitus or ringing in the ears-- as such, given your timeline, it is pretty clear to me that the new medication is to blame for your unusual side effect.

Since the tinnitus has been there for two whole months, it seems unlikely to me that it will improve with additional time on medication. If I were your doctor, I would be looking at alternative medications that could replace the efavirenz.

Buenos suerte y salud, BY

healthy living
MEDS WITH PREGNANCY