Kombucha Tea

I have read many reports on Komucha tea and its healing effects on internal organs such as the liver and kidneys (particularly of interest due to the toxicity of many meds) and its ability to stimulate the immune system. I know you are not herbalists but was wondering if you have any scientific data to support these claims. BTY, this site is incredibly helpful, imformative, and supportive. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Cohen

And Thank you BTW...

So - there is virtually no science done on Kombucha Tea. However there are cautions - especially for persons with HIV - since there was at least one (and maybe more) deaths from someone who drank this tea. Since it is a tea made from the fermentation of a mushroom and is understood to also have other organisms growing in it as well, there are concerns that people with HIV might actually have trouble from this one. So I would suggest NOT trying this one.

There are other herbs that have some support as able to help "detoxify" and appear to be safer than this one - usually mentioned in this category is Milk Thistle, or Silymarin which actually has some science as well as folklore to support that it might help the liver deal with infection or meds.

There are many resources out there - among the ones most based in science are herbals written by Dr. V. Tyler - if you want to do more digging around for potentially helpful plants...

Hope that helps. CC

test
Considering adding alternative therapies