Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

meds failing? please answer
Jan 9, 2008

hiya i am a 27 yr old positive female who has been on sustiva & truvada for 2 years. when i started meds my cd4 was 240 & vl was very high indeed. after a couple of months my vl reached undetectable & cd4 rose to 500 then went on to 700, 500, then last two lots of results were 400. i am due back in 2 wks for retesting. what i am wondering is why the drop in the cd4 count? does this mean my meds are failing? i have remained undtectable all this time thanks

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

If your viral load remains undetectable, then it's unlikely that you're having treatment failure. I'd suspect that the CD4 counts are merely reflecting the normal variation in the tests- noting that all of the recent results (despite their decline) remain in the normal range. A glance at your CD4 percentage will likely not show such declines.

Either way, repeating the tests would seem like a reasonable thing to do.

I hope this is helpful, BY

Previous
CD4 Counts
Next
stopping meds for colonoscopy?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.