Should I start Med's?

I have elevated liver enzymes from binge drinking. I have not started any meds yet. My tcells are 385 and my VL is 38K. I am at 16%. Those numbers scare me, should I be starting meds? The Doctor told he wanted to monitor that for 3 months again before starting me on a regimen of meds. What do you think?? I don't want to get AIDS.

Thanks for your post.

If I were your doctor, I'd be considering starting medications. You've got a low CD4 percentage and your total CD4 count is within the margin of error of the 350 that the treatment guidelines recommend.

You've got some issues to settle before starting, namely getting your drinking and liver injury under control. These issues can make taking medications and adherence more difficult.

Waiting a few months isn't a terrible thing, given these points, but if a repeat lab test confirms the low percentage (15% is equivalent to an AIDS diganosis), I'd recommend starting.

Best of health to you in the new year, BY

Rectal Bleeding
Not sure about starting treatment