|Is Shingles contageous
Dec 22, 2007
Everything I read about Shinghles, it says ytou can't catch it. However it appears to me that lots of my friends seem to be having shings at the same time. Could this just be a case of lots of chicken pox around and this is causing the shingles to flare up. Although i thought chicken pox was pretty much being controled by vaccination.
| Response from Dr. Young
Thanks for your post.
Shingles is reactivation of old chickenpox (Varicella zoster). It is not contagious to persons who have previously had chicken pox, but can cause primary chickenpox in persons who have never had the illness.
Having exposure to chickenpox does not cause outbreaks of shingles.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- When You Get The Shingles Vaccine Can You Still Get An Outbreak?
- When Do Shingles Stop Itching?
- What Will Happen If I Touched A Genital Herpes Scab?
- What If You Don't Take Medicine For Shingles?
- What If A Person With Hpv Uses The Restroom And Does Not Wash Their Hands Can You Get It?
- What Antibiotics Can Be Used To Cure Chlamydia?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.