Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Taking atripla
Dec 18, 2007

Is it O.K. to take Atripla in the morning or at bedtime and also on the bottle it recommends taking it on an empty stomach at 1 hour before or 2 hours after meal at the same time. I prefer taking it with a meal and in the morning. If I switch to take it in the morning, will that have an affect on my VL and CD4 count?

Response from Dr. Wohl

You can take Atripla in the morning or evening, with food or without - it all depends on how well you tolerate it.

Most people take the med at night so that the dizziness is not noticed during sleep. If you do not experience any problems when taking the med first thing in the morning, go for it. Just be sure you continue to dose the med at about the same time every day and not switch back and forth between day and night. Choose one.

As far as food, same deal. Eating increases absorption of efavirenz in Atripla and can make side effects more likely. If you can scarf eggs and ham and Atripla and not feel like you are tripping, all the power to you.

DW

Previous
Sustiva/Combivir
Next
a woman on sustiva and triziver

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.