Why increase Reyataz after 2.5 years?

My doctor increased my Reyataz dose on my last visit from 2-150 mg to 2-200 mg capsules daily. This is in addition to Norvir and Truvada. He gave me no explanation and my viral load was undetectable but my CD4 count dropped from 477 to 352. Is there a new dosing recommendation? My doctor was just a bit evasive about answering why the change. I'd appreciate your input. Thank you.

It would seem that your doctor is trying to "intensify" your treatment regimen but increasing the levels of atazanavir (Reyataz). If your viral load is undetectable, it seems unlikely to me that this will result in higher CD4s in the short term.

In earlier clinical trials, using 400 mg atazanavir with ritonavir resulted in higher rates of the development of jaundice, without any measurable improvement in viral suppression.

I'd pay attention to whether or not you develop any side effects on this higher dose and stay in touch with your doctor (or us).

Be well, BY

time frame for kp-1461
MY FIRST TREATMENT