HIV meds with HCV

I've been HIV poz for 20 years (or more) with currently 700 tcell and undetected viral load. I was just diagnosed with Hepatitis C and I don't have a swollen liver and have not been prescribed any medicatons for it. However I need to change the HIV meds so they won't affect my liver. Do you have any recommendations? Is it safe to take Trouvada with Isentress? I read that even though Trouvada is going through the kidneys, it is a risk for the liver.

Thanks for your post.

I think that you may be putting the cart before the horse. A diagnosis of HCV usually means that you've tested with positive antibodies. The first thing to do at this point isn't do change your medications, but rather to ascertain if you have HCV virus in your blood or not. If you don't, it means that you're among the fortunate minority of persons (~30%) who naturally clear the infection.

If you have HCV in your blood, then many experts would check a liver biopsy to see what extent of liver injury (if any) exists. If you have evidence of significant liver scaring, then one might entertain treatment for the HCV and review your HIV medications for need to adjust the type and dose of medication.

As for tenofovir/FTC or raltegravir, these medications are generally safe in persons with liver disease.

Best of health to you, BY

CD4 AND DEATH
high lactate levels