Which drug to take with Ziagen and 3TC

I have Lipoatrophy. I am due to start taking meds again after a 10 mos. vacation. My Dr. has prescribed Epzicom and Sustiva however, I've read that Sustiva causes a rapid increase in Lipoatrophy. I'm due to start taking meds today or tomorrow so I desperately need help in deciding what is a better third drug to take with the Ziagen and 3TC in place of the Sustiva that won't cause worsening of the Lipoatrophy.HELP!

Thanks for your post.

In one of the most provocative studies of the year, the ACTG 5142 analysis of 500 patients suggests that boosted PIs (lopinavir was used in the study) have a lower risk of developing lipoatrophy than efavirenz (Sustiva). Abacavir/3TC (Epzicom, Kivexa) wasn't studied in 5142, but it is thought that this nuke combo also shares a low risk of developing lipo.

It's often not as simple as selecting medications on the basis of only one characteristic, but the combination of abacavir/3TC (Epzicom) with either efavirenz or a boosted PI would be thought to have a low overall risk of lipoatrophy.

Nonetheless, if lipoatrophy is the factor that is most important to you, then I'd select a once-daily ritonavir-boosted protease inhibitor. In our clinic, we give our patients the choice of the PI; the vast majority are electing to start on the new low-dose (100 mg) ritonavir-boosted fosamprenavir (Lexiva) for reasons of tolerability and lack of dietary restriction and avoidance of risk of jaundice.

I hope this helps, BY

1 pill complete combo?
Lipator