Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

KP 1461
Dec 11, 2007

I unfortunately was infected with a 3 class resistant virus and have been know to be HIV pos since Dec 2005. My VL is stable at 10,000 and my CD4 has been up and down between 230 and 340. Fortunately a lot of new drugs sre now available and my doctor is talking about starting a combo such as Isentress with the new NNRT OR Prezita and probably Fuzeon. I am treatment naive and am healthy. KP 1461 Sounds like such a wonder drug maybe I should just try to get into a clinical trial with it instead as it almost sounds like a cure! Then I would be done with my HIV (and never get infected again God). Sorry for the drama but S**t this is exciting stuff. In your experience have there been drugs out there previously with similar claims that turned out to be duds? And why have the big drug companies not jumped on board. You would think that a drug that in vitro cell cultures can eliminate the virus would be the holy grail of HIV treatment and quite profitable as well.I guess we can just remain hopefull and stay tuned with the phase 2 trials for now. Thanks

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello, and thanks for posting.

Previous HIV medications have been developed with the idea of fitting into a drug cocktail in order to control HIV infection. This is the first agent that I am aware of with such a novel mechanism of action.

Talk of a cure with this agent is not accurate. The first task is to see if it is safe and has meaningful antiviral activity in humans.

The phase 2 trial has many restrictions, but based on your post you may qualify. It is only through individuals volunteering to participate in studies like this that we can move forward.

The big drug companies have not jumped on board because this agent is in early testing. If positive results are seen in this study then this would trigger great interest.

Stay tuned!

Previous
Atripla & Hep b
Next
Just want to be well again.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.