Reyataz and Prevacid

I've recently decided to start treatment for HIV. My physician has recommended Reyataz and Epzicom and wrote a script. Prior to filling the script, I investigated and it seems I should not take Reyataz, given that I am on Prevacid. Is that accurate?

My relationship with this physician is new and this does not give me confidence as I review all my current medications in each appointment. Your thougts?

There is an interaction between Reyataz and Prevacid which lowers the drug levels of Reyataz. If one takes Reyataz as the sole protease inhibitor (no boosting by Norvir) then this can significantly decrease the effectiveness of this medication. Even with Norvir, the drug levels may be marginal. If the Prevacid is not essential and can be changed to a less potent medication like Pepcid or Zantac then it is OK to use Reyataz.

It is always a good idea to double check your medications every time a change is made and periodically to see if medications are still necessary. I have seen patients who were started on medications years ago for a minor problem and by virtue of simple inertia the agent was never stopped.

So discuss this issue with your doctor and see what changes need to be made.

Good luck!

alternative combination for Truvada
Stopping Norvir