Atripla VS. Trevada

I am a 46 male, and healthy. I was diagnosed with HIV in September 06. Since then, my CD4 count has declined from 641 to 465, VL from 6160 is now 10,930 and the CD4% declined from 26.7 to 17.9. My doctor is asking to start medication if the CD4% is not improved next month when I take the test again. He recommends Atripla, but my Health providor does not cover it (non-prefered drug), but curiously it does cover Trevada. How do these drugs compare. Obvioulsy I would like to take Truvada if possible to minimize financial exposure. Thank you so much for your time.

Atripla is three drugs rolled into one pill: tenofovir+FTC+efavirenz.

Truvada is two drugs rolled into one pill: tenofovir+FTC.

Therefore, Atripla is Truvada plus efavirenz. You can not take Truvada alone. It requires an additional medication. Your plan will likely cover efavirenz (also called Sustiva). If so, take Truvada and Sustiva and it is the same as Atripla. (Why the company won't cover Atripla is unclear as it costs the exact same as Truvada+Sustiva.)

I hope this is clear. If not, your doc can help explain it to you.

Is time to start meds???
Effectiveness of treatment