Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Reg HIV and window period

My Late husband got detected as HIV +ive in September 2006. He got AIDS and expired on february 2007. We have one 4 year old kid. Myself and my kid tested HIV -ive in Elisa during september 2006. I have not had sex with my husband after september 2006. I am doing ELISA and Western Blot test for every two months and got HIV -ive status every time. Last time I got tested was on May 28th(after 6 months of exposure) and tested HIV -ive in ELISA and Western Blot. I am consulting with doctor and he told I am 99% HIV -ive and he advised me to check again after 6 months(1 year after exposure).I hav not had sex with anyone after september 2006. I have some questions here. I would appreciate if i get answer for all these.

1) Is there any chance of getting HIV+ive after 6 months of window period ?.

2) Is there any chance of ELISA/Westerblot showing HIV -ive for certain body conditions or other reasons by mistake?

3) Is there any other tests I need to take to confirm my HIV - ve status ?.

4) I have not taken test for my kid after september 2007 since I am HIV -ve. Do I need to take one ELISA test for my kid now?.

5) Is there anyone got HIV+ve after window period 6 months?.

6) Is there many peoples are there with HIV-ive and husband with HIV+ive or I am alone like this?.

7) Why I have not got HIV?. Is there any medical reason behind?.

8) How safe is my kid now from HIV?

9) I would like to marry my Ex-boy friend now?. I dont want to tell him that my husband expired because of AIDS. Is it required for me to tell him about truth?.

10) Do I need to wait for my marriage some more time to get confirmation about my HIV -ive status?. If so how long i need to wait?.

11) Is there any usefull resources available in internet about all this issues?.

Thank You.

Regards,

Linda

Linda,

Thank you for your post. I'm terribly sorry to hear about your late husband, but heartened to hear about yours and your child's health.

Let's see if I can answer your questions.

1,5) It's really, really unlikely that you'll get HIV after a 6 month window.

2) It's also really, really unlikely that multiple ELISAs or WBs would be falsely negative

3) I don't think that you need to do any further testing; but if you wanted extra reassurance, a HIV RNA or DNA PCR (viral load) test would be the final piece.

4,8) Your child is HIV negative. No need for additional testing.

6)There are couples like yours. Getting HIV isn't inevitable in such relationships, though transmission clearly happens.

7) There are many potential reasons why you did not get HIV from you husband- good luck is the most significant one. Others include the frequency and timing of intercourse, possible genetic variations in your HIV receptors and the replication fitness of your husband's virus.

9,10) I see no medical reason why you could remarry (or wait to marry) . Nor is there any legal reason why you'd have to tell your boyfriend. However, I believe in full disclosure about HIV status and risk- particularly when it involves a loved one.

11) Lastly, I hope that this forum and other forums on TheBody.com will be useful resources for you. It might also be of value to talk to your local AIDS service organization to see if they have support groups for survivors and couples.

Best of health to you, BY

New drugs for treatment naive
5 min. later.