restarting trizivir part II

Hello, this is a follow up on Restarting Trizivir, Oct 15 2006.

33y.o male ,Been poz since dec 98, started Trizivir un june 2002,with VL 57000, cd4 257, been undetectable for 2 years and stopped treatment on 6/2004 with cd4 above 500 and vl undetectable.

Resumed Treatment on Oct 2006 (With Trizivir again) and now a year later I am undetectable again and my CD4s are in the 400's.

I did take into account all your considerations about combining some of the nukes with boosted PI's etc. And I discussed it with my doctor as an alternative if Trizivir failed upon resumption.

Luckily so far everything indicates that we are still on the right path. I am even tolerating it a lot better than the first time (No vomiting á la Linda Blair ;-) ) So I am a Happy Camper.

My two cents to all the folks doing treatment: Improving your diet, exercise and overall health (stress management, positive behaviour) DO make a difference in my opinion. Meds alone don't cut it if you don't help them.

I sincerely thank all the help from the people in The Body, specially Dr. Young, and hope to be posting "follow ups" for years to come.

Thank you.

Now a question... given that my 2 year holiday worked for me the last time... Could I be contemplating a Holiday beggining again in a year?? As I said I am tolerating it better, and probably I am going to stick with this a little longer..

And... as usual.. The pipeline?? Vaccines?? I heard about some swiss vaccine doing great in initial trials. Is that accurate??

Thanks Again. Happy Holidays.

Thanks Happy Camper,

It's great to hear back from you; even better yet to know that you're back on successful therapy. Thanks for your comments and for sharing your experiences.

It's my general opinion that we try to find the best treatment possible- best potency, best tolerability, so that patients can stay on successful treatment for a long time, with little incentive to discontinue. Part of the rationale is that emerging data suggests that patients who stop HAART appear to be a signficantly greater risk of having complications than those who continue.

This doesn't mean that you can never stop, but rather that the decision needs to balance the risk of continuing a well tolerated regimen with the increased risk of health complications.

As for vaccines and pipelines, I'm not optimistic that a immune-based treatment will revolutionize treatment strategies in the near term (this isn't to say that I'd like to see this happen); the drug discovery pipeline has been quite productive this year with the recent FDA approvals of maraviroc (Selzentry) and raltegravir (Isentress) and continued early access program for TMC-125/etravirine. Overall, I think that the major trends are that all patients now have a real shot at getting undetectable with well tolerated treatments; we're seeing improving standards of potency and tolerability, especially for first-line patients.

So, thanks for posting and Happy Holidays to you and yours. BY

Isentress
is a good news?