Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

restarting trizivir part II
Nov 21, 2007

Hello, this is a follow up on Restarting Trizivir, Oct 15 2006.

33y.o male ,Been poz since dec 98, started Trizivir un june 2002,with VL 57000, cd4 257, been undetectable for 2 years and stopped treatment on 6/2004 with cd4 above 500 and vl undetectable.

Resumed Treatment on Oct 2006 (With Trizivir again) and now a year later I am undetectable again and my CD4s are in the 400's.

I did take into account all your considerations about combining some of the nukes with boosted PI's etc. And I discussed it with my doctor as an alternative if Trizivir failed upon resumption.

Luckily so far everything indicates that we are still on the right path. I am even tolerating it a lot better than the first time (No vomiting á la Linda Blair ;-) ) So I am a Happy Camper.

My two cents to all the folks doing treatment: Improving your diet, exercise and overall health (stress management, positive behaviour) DO make a difference in my opinion. Meds alone don't cut it if you don't help them.

I sincerely thank all the help from the people in The Body, specially Dr. Young, and hope to be posting "follow ups" for years to come.

Thank you.

Now a question... given that my 2 year holiday worked for me the last time... Could I be contemplating a Holiday beggining again in a year?? As I said I am tolerating it better, and probably I am going to stick with this a little longer..

And... as usual.. The pipeline?? Vaccines?? I heard about some swiss vaccine doing great in initial trials. Is that accurate??

Thanks Again. Happy Holidays.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks Happy Camper,

It's great to hear back from you; even better yet to know that you're back on successful therapy. Thanks for your comments and for sharing your experiences.

It's my general opinion that we try to find the best treatment possible- best potency, best tolerability, so that patients can stay on successful treatment for a long time, with little incentive to discontinue. Part of the rationale is that emerging data suggests that patients who stop HAART appear to be a signficantly greater risk of having complications than those who continue.

This doesn't mean that you can never stop, but rather that the decision needs to balance the risk of continuing a well tolerated regimen with the increased risk of health complications.

As for vaccines and pipelines, I'm not optimistic that a immune-based treatment will revolutionize treatment strategies in the near term (this isn't to say that I'd like to see this happen); the drug discovery pipeline has been quite productive this year with the recent FDA approvals of maraviroc (Selzentry) and raltegravir (Isentress) and continued early access program for TMC-125/etravirine. Overall, I think that the major trends are that all patients now have a real shot at getting undetectable with well tolerated treatments; we're seeing improving standards of potency and tolerability, especially for first-line patients.

So, thanks for posting and Happy Holidays to you and yours. BY

Previous
Isentress
Next
is a good news?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.