Atripla and milk thistle

I take atripla in the morning on an empty stomach with no side effects and I was wondering if it is ok for me to take one Milk thistle (140mg) per day to maintain healthy live function. I will not be taking the milk thistle at the same time of day as the Atripla. I will take it in the middle of the day.

Thanks for your post.

Milk thistle is thought by some to have beneficial effects on the liver. These data remain speculative, in my view.

There is limited data on drug-drug interactions between thistle and the components of Atripla (tenofovir, FTC, efavirenz), though there is not believed to be any significant drug-drug interactions.

It' my opinion that unless these drug-drug interactions are well established, that I'd avoid ingesting anything that hasn't had proven benefit or has well studied drug interactions. For this reason, I don't recommend milk thistle to my patients who are taking antiretroviral medications.

BY

hdl,ldl and trig,
Generic versus Proprietory Drugs