Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is there any benefit to Intensification?
Nov 18, 2007

Is there any benefit to an HIV+ person who is undetectable to intensify their treatment? I was looking at clinicaltrials.gov and I saw a few studies that are intensifying undetectable patients by adding Isentress to their regimen.

Isentress aside, have there been any studies demonstrating clinical benefit to a person who's VL is <50? I asked my physician, who directs an AIDS Clinical Trial site, and he said that there has been some studies which demonstrated benefits, but that the benefits were lost after 6 months.

Response from Dr. Wohl

There are no data to suggest that people with persistent HIV viral load levels below 50 copies/mL while on a potent HIV regimen should do anything different than what they are doing. Intensification is an experimental intervention. Studies are looking to see if HIV in certain compartments can be influenced by adding on raltegravir and if people with less than 50 copies/mL but still quantifiable virus on more sensitive viral load assays receive benefit with adding on the med.

This is not ready for prime time and there are obvious disadvantages of adding on any meds that one does not require (side effects, resistance, cost).

DW

Previous
Please give me your opinion
Next
Changing meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.