Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please give me your opinion
Nov 18, 2007

Hi DR.

I am freaking out

My wife and I are having fertility problems and went to IVF. I was tested for HIV and the icma or elias came back positive. the western blot came back indeterminate with only p24 showing up. I have never used drugs and consider myself very safe. I have been tested 4 times in my life and all tests have been negative. I was given factor 8 about 15 years ago for a mild vonwillebrands disorder. basically a factor 8 defficiancy. About four years ago I was treated for hepatitis c probabily from the blood product. I have been undetectible for 3.5 years. the last time I was tested for hiv was when I went for my initial blood work for the hepatitis treatment. It was negative. That was four year ago. I have been with my wife for 3 years and she was tested 2 years ago and is negative. before my wife I was in a very safe long term relationship. So basically my question is can the hepatitis c treatment of interferon and rebatol have caused these results? I have also had a tetnis shot a year ago as well as a hepatitis b vaccine a few years ago. can HPV cause a p24 to show up? Are there other reasons for these results.

In your opinion should I be having panic attacks? Thanks

Response from Dr. Wohl

The results are not conclusive and further testing is needed. I would at least get an HIV RNA of the blood plasma (HIV viral load) test done. The antibody tests should be repeated about a month after the last test. Your wife also needs to be re-tested. If your viral load is not detectable, your wife is HIV negative and the antibody tests unchanged on repeat testing in a few weeks, I would say this is a false positive result.

None of the things you mentioned (tetanus shot, HBV vaccine, HPV) should cause a false positive result on these tests.

Certainly this is concerning but it sounds like there is still more that needs to be done before a diagnosis of HIV can be made.

DW

Previous
What does %CD4 mean?
Next
Is there any benefit to Intensification?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.