Please give me your opinion

Hi DR.

I am freaking out

My wife and I are having fertility problems and went to IVF. I was tested for HIV and the icma or elias came back positive. the western blot came back indeterminate with only p24 showing up. I have never used drugs and consider myself very safe. I have been tested 4 times in my life and all tests have been negative. I was given factor 8 about 15 years ago for a mild vonwillebrands disorder. basically a factor 8 defficiancy. About four years ago I was treated for hepatitis c probabily from the blood product. I have been undetectible for 3.5 years. the last time I was tested for hiv was when I went for my initial blood work for the hepatitis treatment. It was negative. That was four year ago. I have been with my wife for 3 years and she was tested 2 years ago and is negative. before my wife I was in a very safe long term relationship. So basically my question is can the hepatitis c treatment of interferon and rebatol have caused these results? I have also had a tetnis shot a year ago as well as a hepatitis b vaccine a few years ago. can HPV cause a p24 to show up? Are there other reasons for these results.

In your opinion should I be having panic attacks? Thanks

The results are not conclusive and further testing is needed. I would at least get an HIV RNA of the blood plasma (HIV viral load) test done. The antibody tests should be repeated about a month after the last test. Your wife also needs to be re-tested. If your viral load is not detectable, your wife is HIV negative and the antibody tests unchanged on repeat testing in a few weeks, I would say this is a false positive result.

None of the things you mentioned (tetanus shot, HBV vaccine, HPV) should cause a false positive result on these tests.

Certainly this is concerning but it sounds like there is still more that needs to be done before a diagnosis of HIV can be made.

What does %CD4 mean?
Is there any benefit to Intensification?