what meds would you choose?

If you were hiv positive and were choosing meds for the first time and were not resistant to any of the meds would you choose an NNRTI or a PI regimen? I am facing this question soon and don't know if one is better than the other. What would you do? Does it even matter?

If I were HIV positive and choosing medication for the first time I would likely choose a NNRTI-based regimen over a PI regimen. Protease inhibitors tend to be associated with more adverse side effects compared with NNRTIs. I should mention though that I would give serious consideration to starting with an integrase inhibitor (Isentress) along with Truvada because of the favorable potency and side effect profile of Isentress. Once this medication has been on the market longer I think we will have a better sense of its tolerability. I will send myself a reminder to answer this question a year from now and see if the answer has changed.

Switching from efavirenz
Atripla working despite resistance